Your brakes are one of the most important parts of your car. If you are to stay safe on the road, you must be sure your brakes are performing up to their standards. Generally, brakes should be changed every 50,000 miles or so, but every car is different, so it’s important for you to be aware of the warning signs that could indicate you need to change your brakes sooner.
With this in mind, here are five signs your car needs brake replacement in Port Charlotte, FL:
- Squealing or squeaking noises: This is typically the first sign people notice that indicates the brake pads have become overly worn down. Persistent squealing or squeaking is not normal in brakes, except in some rainy weather situations. But if it’s a clear, sunny day, your brakes should not be squeaking at all. If this begins to happen to your vehicle, it’s important to schedule a time to have an auto technician take a close look at your brakes and your vehicle.
- Indicator lights: There is an indicator light in your vehicle that will tell you when you need to replace your brake pads, or at least have a professional look at them. This works with help from a sensor on the brake pad that is able to tell when the brakes have worn down to a certain point. If your brake light comes on, make sure you schedule a service appointment as soon as you can to have the issue addressed.
- Grinding sound: If you notice a deep, metallic sort of grinding sound, this will indicate you need to replace your brake pads. On some types of brake pads, there are small metal ridges and grooves that are located in the bottom of the pad. In this way, the grinding sound is purposefully designed to alert the driver it’s probably time to replace the pads. Therefore, if you notice the sound, you should get to an auto technician as soon as possible to make the replacement. If the metal ridges grind for too long, you could end up needing to replace more parts than just your brake pads, and that can get expensive very quickly.
- Thin pads: You can perform a visual inspection to see if it’s time to change your brake pads. If the pads are less than a quarter inch thick, this indicates they will need to be changed soon. You should be able to see the brake pad on the rotor of the tire by looking between your wheel spokes.
- Vibrations: If your brake pedal vibrates, this means it is having difficulty stopping your car. Vibrating brake pedals indicate the brake pads have worn out, so you should schedule a maintenance appointment as soon as possible to get them replaced.
These are just a few of the most common signs that you need to get brake pad replacement. For more information and tips, contact Ice Cold Auto Repair about brake replacement in Port Charlotte, FL.
Categorised in: Brake Replacement
This post was written by Writer